Want to create a watercolor illustration worthy of your wall? Chloe Jane has a very unique and beautiful technique for creating stunning watercolor illustrations, and she’s ready to teach you her secrets.
When: Sunday, June 4th, 1-5pm
Where: Art for the People Gallery, 1711 S First St.
In this learnshop we will practice watercolor techniques that will lead to the creation of your very own watercolor illustration.
Some of the techniques you’ll learn include:
- Transferring drawings
- Stretching watercolor paper
- Using tape and frisket to mask
- Creating flat and graded washes
- Learning about wet on wet techniques as well as dry brushing
- How to utilize glazing, bleeding, and splattering techniques
- How to deckle the edge of watercolor paper
The final illustration you create will be a starry night landscape within a silhouetted shape. We will provide pre-made templates of silhouetted shapes of Texas, a whale, a buffalo, and a bear. All attendees are welcome to create their own silhouetted shape or use the provided templates. If you’d like to make your own, please bring in a silhouetted shape printed out at about 3 ½ inches × 3 ½ inches.
What you’ll get:
- Expert instruction from a local illustrator and watercolor artist
- Plenty of practice paper
- Several samples of watercolor techniques created by you that you can use as a reference for your own future projects
- A 6 inch × 6 inch piece of art, made by you, to take home
*In this learnshop we will be providing super high quality materials for you to work with. If you’d like to purchase any of these materials to take home with you we will have some on hand.
Chloe is an Austin-based watercolor illustrator inspired by flora, fauna, and the relationship between art and science. She has a great appreciation for the art of storytelling and she strives to produce beautifully detailed images that encourage close examination.
You can find her work at several shops around town including Art for the People and Form + Function. View her portfolio at chloejanemade.com, follow her on Instagram for weekly updates, or shop her products on Etsy and Society6.